1 | Why I will begin to write

I thought which way should I start my blog…well, let’s bring some real numbers to the scene, as of the 3rd April 2020 in the UK there have been 3,605 confirmed deaths from the COVID-19 and 38,168 confirmed infections (1). Numbers that are utterly incomprehensible since this is only the UK. But, real life is happening every second, let’s cherish every moment like it is our last. Now, for this short, while I am not aiming to be a newsworthy information platform, I am just seeking to improve a skill I’ve been putting off for some time. I took inspiration to start this from Seth Godin’s blog and his approach to writing, he writes for himself, which is a relief since he is just trying to put his opinion out there. I want to do precisely the same, though he writes every day, I currently don’t. I’m about to change that, perhaps not every day, but I’ll actively be working on something.  So, I present to you…me!

My name is Obri Gonzalez, 23 years young. Now people will wonder where the name comes from, well I hope people have some curiosity, it comes from Shakespeare’s ‘Midsummer Night’s Dream’ - Oberon - meaning the ‘King of the Fairies’! To be fair, I love it; my mom did an amazing job since it aimed to be a succession of my grandad’s name Aubrey. Though, since I was born in Mexico, she had to change the spelling to make it sound as similar as possible. Now, you’ll wonder where I’m from, in its simplest form I am from this beautiful Earth, though I’m mixed race I proudly honour two amazing cultures: Mexican and British. I have now lived more years in England but was born in Mexico City. I now reside in Leeds since I’m studying at the University of Leeds BSc Psychology (Industrial). What does ‘Industrial’ mean? I took an extra year where I have been able to undertake business duties from a placement at Casa Mexica, but I’ll be speaking more about this experience as I move along my blog.

I thank you (whoever is out there reading this) for taking the time to see my reasons to write. A task in itself has been to just…start! Why? Well, as I previously explained, I am from Mexico, and one of the biggest obstacles I am yet to feel accomplished or at least working towards to is my written abilities to communicate what I think and feel. Having had to learn English at the age of 11 years, my verbal and written skills have developed at different stages, not the usual way as other people from England have. Those that know me can perhaps vouch that I can probably speak all day without stop, and yes, yes I can! If you were to tell me to write everything instead of speaking…I’d be puzzled on where to start. Hence, here I am…, I’m writing now! I want to write for myself, and I want to feel like I’m moving forward towards the elusive state of accomplishment since as I become more accustomed to this skill, without a doubt, I will want to raise the bar. So, bare with me, as I gather all my current knowledge about what I find interesting and put it in a format where people can take a read.

So, to quickly summarise; today, Saturday 4th April 2020, we are living in a pandemic where it has seen unprecedented numbers skyrocket to unimaginable digits of both deaths and infected cases worldwide. This is no joke, what is important to realise right now is that ‘You’ will take control of what you can take control. I have also introduced myself as a multicultural individual that is aiming to improve a skill he has pushed away for so long, that it feels a bit scary taking control, but we all got to start somewhere.

I invite you to take a read at my future blog posts since I will be writing about what interests me…this will all come on my next blog! I feel now I’m on a roll and want to keep it that way. If what I wrote today has sparked some interest to start something similar let me know like I said I’m just getting started so there’s going to be a load of roadblocks that I will encounter. I would love it if I could share this experience with someone - DM me on my Instagram @Mr_Mexican_Boy.

Mucho Amor

Obri “King of the Fairies” Gonzalez

1. (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Origin of Memoires of a Chef

What does it mean "Memoires of a Chef"?

2 | On being in touch with yourself...